Sunday, February 7, 2010

Technicalities


Sometimes Hunter's figuring out the world seems to get in the way of himself (and myself).

Like recently, for example, he has been obsessed with the technical definition of the words couple and few. If I tell him, "There are only a couple bites left" he'll say, "But mom, a couple is two." Or when I say "in a few minutes" he counts to make sure it is within the range of three and twelve.

Or another recent phenomena is him telling me what is healthy and not healthy. The other day I gave him a piece of toast with butter on it, an appetizer before I started making dinner, and he said, "But Mom, bread and butter is not a healthy meal." Or him telling me that he can't eat peanut butter and jelly because jelly has a ton of sugar in it.

Today, he cracked me up when, he was going through his backpack (which we had used for hiking the other day) and found a lighter in it. He told me, "Mom, you know that can't go in my bag. Fire safety!" and threw it out.

There seems to be this fine line between him curiously correcting me and him, well, sometimes unknowingly and quite innocently getting out of hand, but it sure is funny watching him figuring things out and in the meantime giving us all a good laugh.

"...then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." 
Genesis 3:5
Hunter is 4 years, 10 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!