Friday, May 29, 2009

Shadow Play

While I was working on Sunday School materials today, Hunter was listening to tapes, coloring, and talking to me. Even when I can't be actively doing things with him, I still want to include him in what I'm doing in whatever way I can.

So in a moment of spontaneity, I started making shadow puppets. He laughed at the little dogs and bunnies (that's about all I know how to do) and then, as he was across the table from me, I reached my hand back towards the lamp, making my hand shadow quite huge, and jokingly said, "Roar! I'm going to get you!"

I then started moving my hand backward and forward, saying, "Big, little, big, little." I explained why, when my hand got closer to the light bulb, it was blocking more light, which made my hand appear bigger, and when I moved it far away, it was blocking less light, so my hand looked smaller.

He was cracking up.

Then of course, he had to try it. He was laughing the whole time, delighted in this simple discovery. I laughed, too, and was reminded yet again how, when you have a preschooler, life is never boring, and each day full of new discoveries. And I was thankful, so thankful, for the blessing of being a mother.

little

big

little

big






"Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily..."
Deuteronomy 6:3

Hunter is 4 years, 2 months old 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!