Saturday, December 20, 2008

Directed Confession


"Mommy, that's a bad word."


It's a bad habit, my road rage. Okay, rage is a little bit of an over-exaggeration. No, a LOT of an over-exaggeration. But in light of a less-than conscientious driver I encountered today, I mumbled under my breath, "What the heck?"

I try to encourage Hunter not to use euphemisms. A euphemism is, after all, a just substitute for a harsher, more offensive word. And although a word's euphemism is generally less offensive than the original, the meaning and attitude is yet the same. And after all, it's really not comely for a young man, or woman. "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29) Euphemisms certainly don't edify or minister grace so, I try not to use them.

I say try because, I still have a bad habit of doing so. It's hard to teach your child something when you're doing the opposite in front of him. More is caught than taught...

Anyhow, our conversation today went like this:

"Mommy, that's a bad word."

"You're right Hunter, I'm sorry I really shouldn't say that, it's not a nice thing to say."

"Tell God you're sorry."

"I'm sorry God."

"He forgives you."

"That's good."

"Tell God thank you."

"Thank you God."

I was a bit surprised - "Tell God you're sorry"? I'm not sure where he picked that one up. I suppose he's probably overheard me praying before. Kids pick up on the funniest things.

"And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long."
Psalm 35:28
Hunter is 3 years, 9 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!