Thursday, August 7, 2008

Math Talk

I've been looking for new ways to teach Hunter math. Not new as in dropping the Doman style, but new as in new ways to get him more interested in it and make it more a part of our daily life. Math, for little kids, can be rather boring if we don't keep it interesting for them, NOT because it is in any way difficult, but rather because it is too easy (since they already can perceive true numbers and learn the meaning of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division instantly).

One of the things that I started doing today was simply saying math equations for him while we're driving in the car, filling the mop bucket with water, or brushing his teeth. He doesn't particularly like to look at number cards, since he already knows them, and since at this point in the program you only show the answer card anyways, I figure he can just see what is happening in his head without the visual sometimes.

Today I was giving him some fraction equations, which are new to him. "Hunter, did you know that one half of one hundred equals fifty? And one half of twenty equals ten! One half of two equals one, and one half of ninety equals forty five!"

Pretty simple. He listened, without comment, and we continued in our work. I did a couple more, like tenths and thirds (ones that I knew off the top of my head) and then I came home and wrote up a list of fraction equations from halves to twentieths. I'm doing everything from 1/2 of 10 = 5 to 6/9 of 54 = 36, etc. Writing up these lists of options sure takes a while! But I'm glad to do it so other parents can use them and save their precious time.

I'm really going to start focusing on the math more, not because he's deficient (he can instantly do any kind of arithmetic, like 6x9+16÷7) but because I want to 1) Explore more math concepts with him, 2) Make math a part of daily life, and 3) Make him more and more comfortable with numbers so that hopefully, he will soon start to verbalize what he knows. Right now I think we're going to do three sets of equations a day (for a total of twelve equations, which will take about 30 seconds total time), plus three game sessions a day, plus me giving him equations at various times during the day and using math in real life such as cooking, etc. I'm also working on a math "curriculum" to put together for myself and for others. Basically, it's just going to be a compilation of all the basic math skills and terms and how to easily and effortlessly teach them to your baby in a fraction of time that it takes older kids, plus a lot more fun! I'm using an (8th grade) pre-algebra text book, which should have all the basic arithmetic skills. Plus I'm using a lot of interesting books with cool "math tricks" and whatnot that will add some exciting spice to the mix. It's going to be a lot of fun, and I know he'll do well with all of it.


"At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight."
Matthew 11:25-26

Hunter is 3 years, 4 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!