Friday, August 8, 2008

Learning Greater than and Less than

Hunter, to no surprise, picked up "greater than" and "less than" with ease today.

I got out the greater than / less than symbol and sat down on our mat, and then enthusiastically showed him a few equations. "Ten is greater than one", "Six is greater than four", "Eight is greater than two". I laid these out and let him see each equation for about a second, then got out the next one.

Then it was his turn. I laid down the seven and the "greater than" symbol and asked him which one goes next: eight or five. He picked five and we smiled and cheered.

Next we got out some higher numbers. I laid down the eighty four and then some choice cards. He picked the card with eighty dots on it to complete the equation (can YOU tell which one is greater or less from this picture? One is 84, one is 80, and one is 89)

Tomorrow I'll probably introduce "less than", and then we'll probably do whole equations (5x5+11 > 63÷3+10). He learns everything so effortlessly, instantly picking up what "greater than" means without me ever explaining it - all I had to do was show him three equations and he intuited what it meant, instantly. I love teaching him math. I love that God has "revealed these things unto babes". I love that math, which we have always assumed was complicated and difficult, is almost too easy for a toddler. I'm greatly enthused with every new discovery he makes and how easily he learns, and we're enjoying the journey together, loving every step of the way.


"For what portion of God is there from above? and what inheritance of the Almighty from on high?... Doth not he see my ways, and count all my steps?"
Job 31:2,4

Hunter is 3 years, 4 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!