Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Eating Fireworks

You know, I constantly write blogs about how incredibly smart little kids are. But today I was reminded of the words of Glenn Doman when he said that...

"It must by now be obvious to the reader, as it is to all those who know the staff of The Institutes, that we have for all babies' ability to learn and all parents' ability to teach, a respect that borders on reverence. Yet I have never seen a two-year-old wise enough not to fall out of a tenth-story window or to drown himself, given the opportunity to do so. Wisdom, the tiny child does not have; but the ability to take in raw facts--in prodigious amounts--he does have..."

Hunter left me for about thirty seconds today to go out to his room to retrieve a toy, and came back with a mouth full of black, dirt-looking stuff, gaging. "What is it?" I asked anxiously. "What did you put in your mouth?"

"Gum" was his reply. After washing his mouth out he led me to the door to show me the "gum" that he had found: glow worms from the Fourth of July. The package did sort of look like candy, but good grief, my kid is eating fireworks! Thankfully it was just one small pellet and he spit all the junk out of his mouth without ingesting any. But, I just had to laugh because, it's incredible how kids can be so smart, so intelligent, even so genius, yet so lacking in common sense.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
1 Corinthians 13:11

Hunter is 3 years, 3 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!