Saturday, June 7, 2008

Field Trip to the Zoo

Wednesday was our first field trip of the summer. We went to the city zoo about an hour away and it was quite enjoyable. Hunter’s only regret was that “We didn’t see the bears” (we ran out of time).

I enjoyed pointing out all the animal names to him. I told him their real names, for example, saying “Look at the black howler monkey!” instead of just a generic “monkey”. The zoo made this easy for us since all the real names are by the displays. They also had all the scientific names, but we haven’t gotten that far yet (but we will as soon as I make the bits!)

I really enjoyed learning so much with Hunter (I didn't know their real names!), and I know he enjoyed receiving it even more. It’s sad to see parents hauling their tot around in a stroller, occasionally pointing out the “pretty bird” or the “horsy”. Kids are capable of benefiting from and appreciating so much more. And it definitely makes it more interesting and enjoyable for BOTH parties when you are teaching them something worth remembering.

I’ll have to admit I became a little bit distracted video taping and taking pictures. But we still did have a lot of fun together. And hopefully next time it won’t be quite as cold. I’m really excited about looking into all the community resources that are available. There are so many wonderful educational opportunities, and they are NOT just obtained through the schools. In fact the schools tend to mess it up a lot of time: you learn so much more and have so much more fun when it’s just your family, rather than a large group to be tallied.

I plan on taking him there a few more times this year. Next time I go I'm bringing a note pad and taking note of all the animals that are in each display so I can teach Hunter about them between visits. I can't wait to see how much fun it is going to be when we know about all the animals!








































"But ask no
w the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee: Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12:7-8

Hunter is 3 years, 2 months old

1 comment:

  1. They probably have a list of all their animals/exhibits on their website - so you won't need to take notes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!