Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Much Needed Help


Help came at just the right time yesterday. To say the least, I've been bogged down trying to get materials at the rate Hunter is learning them: he learns everything faster than I can keep up with!

But just as I was feeling discouraged, I remembered a set of Fandex cards we had downstairs of "Explorers". I thought these would be great as portable bits to use on our trip to NC this summer.

While searching for the fandex cards, I literally screamed with joy when I found a large stack of jumbo size insect flashcards in the science room! These have splendid (large) illustrations of insects on them, several dozen cards in all, and I know Hunter is going to love learning about the world of insecta! I also found a stack of wildflower cards from the same company! What a gift from heaven, as I know that find saved me probably five hours of work!

But that is not all, as I also found a set of "Our 50 States" fandex cards (which I plan on using on our trip) as well as some astronomy flashcards and "edible plants" flashcards! It sure made my day.

I was then inspired to go to the bookstore and see if they had any such similar resources. I was pleased to take home the fandex sets of "Great Classical Composers" and "Birds" for only $10 each (each set has probably 50 cards). I also bought a book called "100 things you should know about gladiators" for just $6. This made my day!

And today I went back for some very nice field guides that were on clearance for $7, including Rocks and Minerals, Herbs, Insects, and Butterflies and Moths. We also got, at Hunter's request, "100 things you should know about elephants". And to top off my day, I found out that teachers (including homeschoolers) can get a 20% discount on everything they buy for their classroom (the store is Barnes and Noble)! I can't wait to go back and get some more fandex cards as well as some awesome books of great masterpieces of art that I saw.

The fandex cards are great in that they have wonderful pictures and a good deal of information. They're not full "Bits of Intelligence" cards with 10 programs of intelligence on the back (ten bits of information, including what they eat, where they live, interesting things about them, and their scientific name [for animals]). But they are a great start and do give a fair deal of good information about each item. And who can beat just $10 for 50 bits! Plus they're portable, great for cars, diaper bags, and trips.

Fandex is a great resource for the busy teacher-parent. On Amazon I found these categories: Human Body, Washington DC, New York City, the Civil War, American Indians, Cats, Dogs, Dinosaurs, Presidents, Shakespeare, Africa, Wildflowers, Mummy Gods and Pharaohs, Mythology, First Ladies, Butterflies of the World, Painters, and Wonders of the World.





" The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him."
Psalm 28:7

Hunter is 3 years, 2 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!