Wednesday, February 13, 2008

ABC's

Hunter doesn't really know that many of his letters yet. Back when he was one and a half, I taught him "H" and "S" because those are the first letters of his first and last name. He also learned H says hhh and S says sss.

But for a while he didn't learn anything else, until this summer, when he was almost two and a half, I realized that he didn't know hardly any of them yet, so I went out and bought him some foam alphabet letters to play with in the bathtub (he couldn't use the magnetic ones we have for the fridge, because we had to pack them up for Anthony).


I taught him a few letters, like B is for Bekah and M is for Mommy. Then the bathroom was under construction, and he started taking showers instead of baths.

Then I heard about whole-word reading and why reading is a brain function, just like speaking or hearing, and that we don't read letters but whole words. I decided that I would start teaching him how to read, and mostly dropped the alphabet as we've been focusing on other things.

But now our bathroom is done being under construction, and he's taking bathes again, and I've discovered that he really does know a lot of his letters already. "I wanna make Kevin" was the first thing he said when he got in the bath, and with a few clues about finding the right letters, he spelled it, and was very proud of himself.

So, I'm not worried that he doesn't know all his letters yet. He'll learn them soon enough, and as long as he has fun doing it, we'll be fine.


"The letter which ye sent unto us hath been plainly read before me."
Ezra 4:18
Hunter is 2 years, 10 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!