Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Making a Collage

Hunter had a lot of fun making a collage today: I just got out a bunch of paper scraps, glue, and crayons and let him go at it. He was very particular about how he cut and pasted each piece, and make some interesting scribbles to add to the decor.

He spent quite a bit of time on it; about twenty minutes or so. And of course, any input I might have had was kindly reprimanded with, "I do it all by myself!" Which, of course, are his favorite words right now.

He did it all by himself, and was quite proud of his finished work. His color choices were very selective, and so was his placement of the pieces (and his scribbling as well). I really think that even tiny kids have a propensity for real art, and I'm hoping to nourish his artistic abilities. I'm currently reading the book Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes and intend to start some of the teaching techniques with Hunter soon. The goal of the book is to give children the tools to draw realistically while they're still young, before they hit the "I can't draw!" stage at eight or nine years old.

So, hopefully with these teaching techniques and lots of opportunities to practice and develop his creativity, he will be creating many more future masterpieces and hold onto the joys of art into his teen and adult years.


"And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it."
Psalm 90:17
Hunter is 2 years, 9 months old

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!